Doomers who have passed...

COMPET-N chit chat
AltimaMantoid
player

Doomers who have passed...

Post by AltimaMantoid »

Since Joe "DOOMMANN" Abene's passing was last month, and he is listed as a player in the Compet-N page, what should we do? I know we need to keep his info there, but do we update it with him having passed and make a note of it at the bottom? Suggestions would be wonderful here.
"The Man with the Golden BFG"
Archy
beliver

Re: Doomers who have passed...

Post by Archy »

I think at the bottom of his player profile, it should say "Joe Abene passed away on x.06.2012. He lived to be 50." as well for all Doomers who have passed.

I think players who knew him well, like Anders Johnsen, should add comments about his life, his achievements, and what not -- and then have the admin place them at the bottom of his profile.

I wonder if we could have a list of dead C-N players, some of them are quite old, like Mike Toliver who's currently 62 years old. Shame Abene passed away so young, people shouldn't be dieing at 50. Very sad. T3M8-124 will not be forgotten.

[P.S. I think this should be in the news section of this forum. This thread will only get lost here.]
AltimaMantoid
player

Post by AltimaMantoid »

I posted it here because I wasn't sure where to go with it, and I figured it was a form of C-N discussion. Anyway, it could be moved to news if needed.

It is a shame that he's gone so young. I had no idea Toliver was 62 though!

As far as I'm concerned, we do need to make a note of the players we've had submit to Compet-N that are no longer with us. It's only the respectful thing to do to pay a small tribute to their time and efforts here.
"The Man with the Golden BFG"
Archy
beliver

Post by Archy »

It's hard to think of C-Ners being dead. Doom came out in 1993, and you usually think of teenagers playing video games. That means that most doomers "should" have been born in 1978-80, and that's very young.

You don't think of 50 and 60 years olds playing Doom, at least not at the level of COMET-N... and you don't even think of 50 and 60 year olds dieing. That's just too young.

There's 160 players with iWAD entries, if Joe Abene and Simon Widlake are dead -- who else is dead? It's sad though, someday we'll all be dead, and there's not going to be enough doomers to remember (let alone resurrect) COMPET-N. Dead and forgotten.

I'm a little upset now...
fx
nightmare

Post by fx »

No worries I plan to update "gone" players and add a little news about that. If you didn't heard, another doomer Kim 'Mutator' Malde also died :/
Archy
beliver

Post by Archy »

Joe Abene's youtube channel:
http://www.youtube.com/user/JoeAbene

Please add it to the list of links.

Edit: I think it's pretty important that Simon Widlake be on thatlist.
fx
nightmare

Post by fx »

Yes, I didnt investigate too much, will add it. Also will add Toke.