Just a bad year or there is nothing more to be done?

COMPET-N chit chat
fx
nightmare

Just a bad year or there is nothing more to be done?

Post by fx »

Only one COMPET-N demo was uploaded this year by vdgg and it seems it won't get any better. With Windows 10 out, Dosbox is the only solution to play COMPET-N as I doubt people are willing to setup some old PC just for DOS gaming like me ;P
Also some demos are not uploaded to doom.com.hr at all, tho they are on doomworld.com forum. Maybe it's time to shut down?
I have tons of real life stuff going on and didn't touch almost anything except I managed to record/upload CNDOOM demos to Youtube channel. I really want to do more but cant find time :// I should speedrun life ;)
ZeroMaster010
noob

Re: Just a bad year or there is nothing more to be done?

Post by ZeroMaster010 »

I can't speak for DOS, but there isn't much activity with CNDoom either except for the demos I do. I have 1 last demo planned at the moment, which is to bring the time for doom 2 nightmare under 23 minutes (30nm22XX). I've entered the final year of my PhD and so I will probably have less time for doom, and I would also feel there is nothing more to be done with IWAD movie category (which is pretty much all I do :) ) once I get the time I want. Of course I thought I was done after the previous 30nm run I uploaded here, but then decided to do the UD epsiodes as well on NM, and after that my 30nm route wasn't good enough so I have to do that again :)

What ever you decide to do it's all up to you, either way thanks for all the work you've done.

Oh and I would like to play doom on an old PC, but I think I would be taking my interest for doom a bit too far at that point, as I have no room space for something like that :)))
4shockblast
noob

Post by 4shockblast »

The DSDA, despite all its flaws, probably satisfies most runners in terms of a central speedrunning site. I wouldn't say there's nothing more to be done, I think there's tons of improvements left in the IWADs and CN wads, but switching to DOSBox or even CNDoom is too much of a pain for me at this point, so I can't say if I will upload any runs here at all I'm afraid. :\

I still don't want the site to go down in any case, as it has significant historical value in the community in my opinion. But it might be fine to close /incoming if it's too much trouble to maintain, as it doesn't look like there will be a resurgence in Compet-N or CNDoom running anytime soon...

BTW, you might get a more involved discussion on Doomworld, as I dunno how many people check this forum or even have accounts here.
fx
nightmare

Post by fx »

Page will stay as it is. Upload/incoming too. It's all fully automated so basically no one needs to maintain it. If someone uploads demos good, if not, nothing :) It's just that I'm saying its time for me to move on. I still play Doom and watch demos but there is no need for new cndoom version or anything regarding compet-n/cndoom.
btw. there are mods (andy, sedlo, vdgg, jartapran) that can maintain and change demo details if needed: http://doom.com.hr/forum/memberlist.php?mode=group&g=8
Huncd6814
noob

Post by Huncd6814 »

I think that it is time to revive the topic considering that it has been a full year passed since the most recent thread.
There have only been two demos so far in 2017 (including one from me on a PWAD that has previously seen no demos since 2014), and we are halfway through the year. But I have a plan; I have a plan to keep the COMPET-N database trickling with some new accomplishments. But I am off on a holiday from the 5th to the 15th of July, so it's unlikely that I'll record a demo until then at the earliest.
We can still stay strong on the COMPET-N, and try and revive the memories of what used to be a highly popular speedrunning site (particularly during the period of 2001 to 2005) as much as we can. From the day I first went on this site, I felt touched by the decline in demos here that we have experienced since 2015.

COMPET-N is a site that is a historical monument to the world's best Doom players and so I think that this website has a lot of value staying open for new demos

Because I think, that we can still have fun regardless of the situation :)