My favorite (so far) Requiem level

They are just as good as the originals :)
n00body
noob

My favorite (so far) Requiem level

Post by n00body »

I started playing Requiem for the first time a few months ago. Nothing really caught my eye until I got to map 21. This map just oozes class.

That room you teleport into with the skull on the floor (the holes in it are filled with acid) is cool, along with the room with no floor (the floor and celing are filled with a red paralax texture). Now I know the room with no floor has been done before (Hell revealed map 20 something) but the color of the texture used in this map was even better.

I also liked the level named "Skinny Puppy" (a level in the high teens). The room where you have those pillars with "lifts" attached to them that are constantly moving up and down reminded me of some large machine with moving parts.

I'm going to play through the rest of the levels...anyone have a particular favorite?

Oh and btw, is it me or is map 20 too short? I finished it in a few minutes...
jbd41
noob

Re: My favorite (so far) Requiem level

Post by jbd41 »

Oh and btw, is it me or is map 20 too short? I finished it in a few minutes...
Does every level need to be an epic? I like having a change of pace, imagine if every level was as long as #29.  ;)

Wasn't there some group working on a mini-level wad (every level is short)?
AdamW
player

Post by AdamW »

There's several very short maps in Requiem. The reason is simple - they're pure filler. When the few remaining active members of the Requiem team (myself, Adelusion, a couple of others) patched together the released version, development on the project was basically dead. We had about 25 fully-finished maps, another 3 or 4 that weren't 100% but were good enough to release, and a few holes where there just *weren't* any maps or what we had wasn't remotely releasable. Luckily, someone on the team (I forget who, it's too long ago) had a bunch of short maps he hadn't used in anything else, so the best few of those were picked to fill in the holes. You'll notice all the really short maps are made by the same person.
--
adamw
Andy_Olivera
noob

Post by Andy_Olivera »

someone on the team (I forget who, it's too long ago)
Adam Windsor...;D
The_Fish
noob

Post by The_Fish »

We had about 25 fully-finished maps, another 3 or 4 that weren't 100% but were good enough to release, and a few holes where there just *weren't* any maps or what we had wasn't remotely releasable.
3 or 4 that weren't 100%? Which maps were those? Are you saying there was a few maps that were unfinished but released as such? Did you guys tack on an exit or..?
Vile
player

Post by Vile »

Wow, I personally thought rq21 was awful.  Lots of hallways connecting ugly rooms together with some highly awkward play mechanics at times.  Oh well...

On the other topic, those short windsor maps (20, 26) did some out of place. :)
Andy_Olivera
noob

Post by Andy_Olivera »

Lots of hallways connecting ugly rooms together with some highly awkward play mechanics at times.
No wonder it reminded me of my levels(well, except for the awkward play mechanics)!;D I didn't like it at first, either, but it grew on me. I don't think it's ugly, but it certainly isn't cohesive. The same problem I could never overcome(that patchwork feeling)...
xit-vono
player

Post by xit-vono »

Well I notice that rq20 and rq26 are very short and by Adam Windsor.  He also did rq11 and rq25.  Are those considered filler maps?
Opulent
player

Post by Opulent »

almost all of Windsor's maps are small... that is one of the reasons they are so fun to play.
AdamW
player

Post by AdamW »

I think only two or three of the Windsor maps were filler - ie, not actually designed for Requiem. I can't remember which one was, though - probably 15, since that's a "special" map (needs a secret exit). Fish - the way Requiem was made, at least originally, was that there was a central webpage (hosted on someone's AOL space, I think). When you wanted to update your map, you'd send a copy to the project lead, along with a note saying how far completed you thought it was, on a percentage scale. So if you went to the site you could get the texture wads, plus all the levels that had been submitted so far, and next to each level would be a note saying what percentage the author had given it. When the project sort of died, there were three or four levels that were playable but which the author hadn't given a 100% rating - I think one was actually given an 85% rating, so presumably the author was originally going to refine it quite substantially. Some of these were brushed up slightly (by Adel, if memory serves), and they were included in the finished product.
--
adamw