Contest ideas

Various COMPET-N contests, join and have fun!
fx
nightmare

Contest ideas

Post by fx »

Feel free to post your contest ideas or suggestions, but describe your idea briefly, provide links to maps, etc.
Kyle
noob

Re: Contest ideas

Post by Kyle »

A few random ideas:

-UV-Max or Speed on a non-CN pwad (EG, Real World Map 20 UV-Max)
-Lower difficulty speed runs (skill 1 speed of AV episode one, for example)
-Random Challenges (Such as E1M1 UV-Max where every monster dies from infighting or barrel suicide)
-Reality demos (Reality max of E4M2 comes to mind)
-Weapon restriction demos (Such as Map 07 without rockets or plasma)
fx
nightmare

Post by fx »

Thank you for ideas, for now I'd like to base ideas on existing COMPET-N WAD's. I think there are enough material for such. Also this year contest will have some continuity, well some kind of "story" at least :P
uggi121
noob

Post by uggi121 »

Hmm, something related to secret levels maybe ? Also, combined times of levels!(Total time)
Eg. Our radar scan of the 'Industrial Zone' suggests that there is a secret exit in the area. We have also detected a powerup that is being guarded by a few cacodemons. Kill them, grab the powerup, and get the heck outta there. You might find yourself in a strange environment after using that exit. Get the hell outta that map as well through the normal exit to reach the 'Suburbs'.
uggi121
noob

Post by uggi121 »

Don't tell me contests are dead :-/
fx
nightmare

Post by fx »

No, they are not dead, need some time to perform restart. Need to reorganize directories for better/automatic maintenance. Please be patient, in the meanwhile there is compet-n, cndoom available ;)

ps. ok I've added some things to contest db, and updated it with all demos from this year, I'd still love to have all old contest demos in database, but no time for doing it :)
Anyway, I've moved all contest to 2013 directory:
http://www.doom.com.hr/public/compet-n/contests/2013/

I'll do some frontend for contests similar to current compet-n/cndoom database so you could list per contest/year/player, sort, etc...
I'll use some ideas for next contest from this forum, so stay tuned in next few days!
Sayeth
noob

Post by Sayeth »

I found this forum from Doomworld and I find the idea of contests really neat, although it seems there has not been much activity as of late. Are there any plans to perhaps revive the contests?
fx
nightmare

Post by fx »

Well, as you can see I'm not so much active as I don't have time to maintain things sooo not really and I don't know if there is any interest right now.
btw. I'm waiting for chocolate doom based on SDL2 as current cndoom/chocolate is pretty buggy on modern systems and there are some terrible issues with mouse.