Demos in browser window?

Competition Doom aka. CNDOOM, a COMPET-N reboot, v2 or whatever you want to call it.
mridlen
noob

Demos in browser window?

Post by mridlen »

So I had this idea for a Web player that will draw from the demo database and use the lmp utility to detect which game and wads to use and then launch it in DosBox in browser using js-dos.

Not sure if it would work but it would be a cool concept if I could pull it off.
fx
nightmare

Re: Demos in browser window?

Post by fx »

Android app would be much interesting since there is already chocolate doom ported (doom touch) and works great with demos, it just needs demo browser that will automatically play demos from archive.
mridlen
noob

Re: Demos in browser window?

Post by mridlen »

Android applications are well outside of my area of expertise, but I have used Javascript a bit. That sounds awesome, and maybe some enterprising individual would do that, but that person is not me. :)))

That being said, I got a working mirror of js-dos Doom working on my website and it works perfectly on Chrome on android. I just have to reverse engineer their storage file format (concatenated files, split on byte ranges) so I can load all the Dooms and the lmp files. The only downside is that Ultimate Doom + Doom 2 + Old Dooms (1.666, 1.2, 1.0...) + LMP utility + (Heretic, Hexen, Strife, etc) + unzip + common wads used = a lot of data, probably 50-150MB. Ultimate Doom by itself is a little over 13MB.