Binding keys to mouse buttons (is it allowed?)

COMPET-N chit chat
Archy
beliver

Binding keys to mouse buttons (is it allowed?)

Post by Archy »

My mouse has two extra buttons on the right side for the thumb. Would it be legal to bind those buttons to the keys 6 and 7? I'm creating a new thread for this instead of posting here because I think it's important that people are aware of the ruling.
fx
nightmare

Re: Binding keys to mouse buttons (is it allowed?)

Post by fx »

Of course it is allowed. It is impossible to monitor who plays on what kind of hardware, peripherals, etc. There was even a thread on DW about that/cheating. Best practice would be to record player while recording but then 1000 failed would produce 1000 failed videos.
Archy
beliver

Post by Archy »

The tone and reasoning of your response leaves me a bit perplexed, particularly your last two sentences. While I agree it should be allowed, are you saying the reason it should be allowed is because we can't monitor how people play and on what? If it's legal, it should be legal in front of our backs as well. If a macro key on my keyboard inputs all the keystrokes necessary to brake a record, surly such an offense could not be defended with "variable hardware has always been allowed." If you accept this, do not let it be in compromise of our inability to monitor players.

While we're at it, I'll give my stance on binding hard-coded keys to other keys, It should certainly be allowed, as banning non-QWERTY layouts would be insane (yes people do use Colemak and Dvorak and I wouldn't be surprised if C-N has had an AZERTY player), and what's to say a layout could not have the 5, 6 , and 7 be where the QWERTY E, R, and F are? It's when people bind multiple actions to the same key in ways vanilla can't do that things get muddy for me. I'd still like to hear other players thoughts on this though, especially those around 2003 and before.

Sorry if I came off as negative. Eh, why can't Adam chime in once in a while?
ZeroMaster010
noob

Post by ZeroMaster010 »

I don't think anyone would ever have a problem with re binding single keys, even if it's on the mouse. Then again I've only been around for a year.

As for multiple actions on the same key, that would definitely go under TAS in my opinon. There's no way I would consider a demo legit with any kind of macro. Even just 2-3 inputs on a single key could simplify a great deal of things, escpecially certain tricks would be completely trivial.